- Graph Paper Generator– Make your own Graph Paper
- Plot.ly– A very rich online graphing tool.
- Spurious Correlations – Funny examples of how some graphs can be misleading
- GraphPad Stat Calculators – Clean and user friendly.
- VassarStats – Ugly, but deep functionality.
- Statistics Calculators – Very extensive list of online calculators. May be hard to parse for novice users.
- Citation Machine– makes correctly formatted citations, you pick the style and put in the info
- Zamzar– converts any file format to any other file format and email’s you the result
- Open Office– a free, software based alternative to Microsoft Office
- Zoho– a crazy comprehensive, web based suite of office applications
- Google Docs– a word processor, spreadsheet, presentation utility, drawing program and survey maker. Free with a google account.
- 280 Slides– an online slideware maker.
- Prezi– Prezi is like the cool kid that Powerpoint wants to be when it grows up.
- Google Calendar– Keep track of your life
- Acrobat Reader– From the folks who created the .pdf
- Cute pdf– A program that allows you to create .pd files without purchasing adobe acrobat
- Primo pdf– Another free .pdf utility
- Google Sites– make a website, as easy as a full featured html editor can be.
- WordPress – Another site for making websites
Web Browsers and E-Mail Clients
- Firefox– because Internet Explorer is terrible
- Google Chrome– because Firefox is getting a bit bloated
- Thunderbird– like Outlook, only free.
- Ubuntu– the world’s most friendly Linux distribution
- Study Skills– Quite Comprehensive
- Reading Strategies– Textbooks aren’t always the easiest things to read
- WolframAlpha– Never be stumped by a math problem or anything requiring data ever again
- The Wikimedia Foundation– Wikipedia, Wiktionary, The Commons, so, so good!
- The Encylopedia of Life– Endeavors to have a page for every organism ever described by science.
- Archive.org– Where the internet is stored.
- Searchschool– Are you searching as efficiently as you could be?
Media Players and Audio Utilities
- Songbird– like a free version of iTunes
- Audacity– a full-featured audio editor. You could make an album on this program
- VLC Media Player– Plays every kind of media file under the sun
- The Aviary Suite– I’m still shocked that this exists
- Pandora– Makes radio stations that play songs like the ones you tell it to
- Lifehacker– Go here and you will learn something useful
- Boing Boing– Go here and you will learn something interesting
- Subzin – Find any movie quote
- If the Moon Were Only 1 Pixel – Explore the actual size of the solar system
Arts & Crafts
- ReadyMech– Cardstock, printer, and patience are all that are required.
- Spirograph – It’s an online spirograph! Re-live your childhood.